Cancún is one of the world’s top vacation destinations, and with good reason. Its sparkling beaches, beautiful tropical weather, and lively culture make it a hit among people of all ages and interests. If you are a snorkeling aficionado or wish to try the sport for the first time, Cancún can also be a particularly appealing choice.
Although it is possible to snorkel off most beaches in Cancún, it is highly recommended to choose a guided tour. Tours can take visitors out to premium snorkeling locations, increasing the possibility that snorkelers will see only the best variety of sea life.
If you are planning your upcoming vacation to Cancún, it is natural that you will want to put snorkeling on this list. Keep reading to learn more about the best ways to snorkel in Cancún, along with some tips on the best beaches.
Is it Possible to Snorkel Off The Beach in Cancún?
Yes, you can! Cancún is paradise on Earth, and snorkeling aficionados will find that there are many places to see some of the best oceanic sights in the world. While you can snorkel safely off most beaches in Cancún, the truth is that not all beaches are the same. While some are wonderful spots to see wildlife, most will probably result in just a view of the ocean floor.
Oftentimes, the best way to snorkel in Cancún is with a snorkeling guide group that can provide you with information on the best spots in the area.
Why Snorkel with a Guide?
Snorkeling with guided groups is a popular choice for many and with good reason. The following are all benefits of choosing a guided group for your snorkeling excursion in Cancún.
- Location advice: Guided groups care about your happiness and satisfaction, and they will want to take you to the very best spots so that you feel as though you are getting your money’s worth.
- Expertise: Guides will know the area and have insider knowledge on the very best places and also general scuba safety knowledge.
- Ease: Most guided groups will take you out on a boat to the location of choice, minimizing the need to organize your transportation. In an unknown country, this can be well worth the investment.
If you are staying at a resort, most places will have some advice on a snorkeling tour. If not, there are numerous guided groups to choose from throughout Cancún, offering a variety of durations and to fit every budget.
Which Are the Best Places to Snorkel in Cancún?
Cancún boasts many spectacular places to snorkel, and many of these can be right off the beach.
- Xcaret Park: If you have dreamed of snorkeling amid ancient Mayan ruins, this is the place for you. This park offers several lagoons, rivers, and access to the Barracuda Reef.
- Paraiso Nzuc: This underwater museum will allow you the opportunity to snorkel among beautiful artwork in addition to ocean life. Many guided groups offer access to this great spot.
- Royal Garrafon Natural Reef Park: This is one situation where the beach can give you access to amazing snorkeling sights. You can also take a boat out to the Isla Mujeres reef.
- Akumal: This area is just a short trip from Cancún and provides access to sea caves and swimming with sea turtles. Akumal is sure to put a smile on any snorkeler’s face.
Going to Cancún as an avid snorkeler means you have countless options at your fingertips to get out and enjoy the sights. You will find that many of the above locations have options to snorkel either on your own or with guided groups, so you can truly do what works best for you.
There is no shortage of reasons to like Cancún, and snorkeling fans may be tempted to get started by going right off the beach. However, this is often not the best way to snorkel and can result in some disappointing views when compared with the spectacular snorkeling that can be found in the rest of Cancún.
It is highly recommended to snorkel in Cancún while participating in a guided tour. In this situation, you will go to the best locations and experience unforgettable sights under the guidance of an expert. If you do choose to go right off the beach, it is essential to choose the right beach.
With a little research and some planning, you are sure to find the snorkeling experience of your dreams in no time at all.